Definition of shura in English:
noun[mass noun] Islam
1The principle of consultation, in particular as applied to government: the cooperation of all is the basic pillar of shura
More example sentences
- He sees the Islamic principle of shura, or consultation, as identical to democracy and as an idea that can only be achieved incrementally and never fully realized, as in the American case.
- Although the textual sources specify no particular mechanisms of governance, many point to the Quran's emphasis on shura as evidence of the essentially democratic character of Islam.
- The shura may take on styles and patterns depending upon the socio-cultural and geographical aspects of a Muslim community.
1.1 [count noun] A consultative council.
- He is assisted by shuras (consultative bodies) which are in charge of the day-to-day running of the country.
- The committee is designed to complement existing village authorities such as elders and local councils known as shuras.
- A learned council called a shura selected Abu Bakr, one of the prophet's closest friends and allies.
From Arabic šūrā 'consultation'.
Definition of shura in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.