Definition of shutdown in English:
1A closure of a factory or system, typically a temporary closure due to a fault or for maintenance: engines should be allowed to cool down between a shutdown and the next start [mass noun]: the build-up was pushing the reactor towards shutdown
More example sentences
- Planned temporary shutdowns of Ford assembly plants in August will affect close to 8,000 workers.
- I've blogged before about how rural areas can sustain economic growth in the wake of factory shutdowns.
- With a two-week shutdown of the factory due to start on Monday, it is thought workers will use the time to figure out what course of action to take.
1.1A turning off of a computer or computer system.
- It was unable to book crew flight assignments because of the computer shutdown.
- Owen shutdown his computer and took his tea to the couch in the living room.
- Similarly, customers will be able to move chunks of data between different arrays easier than before and with no system shutdowns.
Words that rhyme with shutdowneiderdown • ballgown • nightgown
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.