- 1A closure of a factory or system, typically a temporary closure due to a fault or for maintenance: engines should be allowed to cool down between a shutdown and the next start [mass noun]: the build-up was pushing the reactor towards shutdownMore example sentences
- Planned temporary shutdowns of Ford assembly plants in August will affect close to 8,000 workers.
- I've blogged before about how rural areas can sustain economic growth in the wake of factory shutdowns.
- With a two-week shutdown of the factory due to start on Monday, it is thought workers will use the time to figure out what course of action to take.
- 1.1A turning off of a computer or computer system.More example sentences
- It was unable to book crew flight assignments because of the computer shutdown.
- Owen shutdown his computer and took his tea to the couch in the living room.
- Similarly, customers will be able to move chunks of data between different arrays easier than before and with no system shutdowns.