A large black gibbon native to Sumatra and Malaya.
- Hylobates syndactylus, family Hylobatidae
More example sentences
- During this period 11 to 16 million years ago, known as the Miocene, there was an evolutionary split between the great apes and the lesser apes, which include modern gibbons and siamangs.
- Bangkok has become an international center for illegal wildlife, and a center for ‘laundering ‘wildlife including live cheetahs, tigers, bears, orang-utans, gibbons, and siamangs to disguise their country of origin.’
- Many smaller animals have also joined the collection: siamang gibbons, provost squirrels, howler monkey, armadillo and the elusive mona monkeys.
early 19th century: from Malay.
Definition of siamang in:
- The US English dictionary