Definition of sidearm in English:
A weapon worn at a person’s side, such as a pistol or formerly a sword.
- The P - 35 was the standard sidearm of both sides in the Falklands intervention, and many were used by both Israeli and Arab forces in the Middle East.
- Fry - 739 had a hand around the throat ribbing of her armor and his sidearm against the side of her helmet.
- In the course of this encounter, a courageous career prison officer and part-time cop named Claude Deckard braved the rifle fire with his personal sidearm at the distance of a football field.
adjectiveBack to top
(Of a throw, pitch, or cast) performed or delivered with a sweeping motion of the arm from the side of the body at or below shoulder level: a sidearm delivery [as adverb]: I could throw sidearm
More example sentences
- After more than a decade in the minors, Taylor changed his delivery to a sidearm motion, which improved his control.
- It isn't common knowledge today, but Walter Johnson threw his blazing fastball with a sidearm delivery.
- Osoria relies on a hard sinking fastball thrown with a sidearm delivery.
verb[with object] chiefly Baseball Back to top
1Throw or pitch a ball to (someone) with a sidearm motion: pitchers who sidearmed me on one pitch, then curved me with the next
More example sentences
- Smith tended to sidearm his throws, but Tedford got him to keep the ball up around his ear and deliver passes over the top.
- ‘You sidearm it in one forward throw, no back motion, after sneaking up on the animal,’ says Gullung, a New Orleans native.
1.1Throw or pitch (a ball or other object) with a sidearm motion: he sidearmed a small stone, which missed the bottle
- sidearmer noun
- Example sentences
- He did, allowing a run and prompting considerable activity in the Yankee pen, but the young sidearmer survived walking the first two hitters to strike out two of the final three to cap things off.
- Will more sidearmers and submariners get an opportunity to show their stuff in the majors in the future?
- While Smith, a sidearmer, doesn't have the velocity to pile up strikeouts, he helps himself by fielding his position well.
Definition of sidearm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.