Definition of siderite in English:
1 [mass noun] A brown mineral consisting of ferrous carbonate, occurring as the main component of some kinds of ironstone or as rhombohedral crystals in mineral veins.
- Of particular interest are superb specimens of lustrous, pale lavender fluorite crystals, many of which are associated with sphalerite and siderite from what remained of the flats surrounding the Diana vein.
- It was the largest orebody found in the Rocky Point zone of the Sawatch Quartzite; ores were of the zinc manto type with marmatite, argentiferous galena, pyrite, and siderite.
- The fine-grained sediment of the matrix is composed chiefly of siderite, with lesser amounts of illite, calcite, quartz, and bitumen.
2A meteorite consisting mainly of nickel and iron.
- On a hillside, three miles above the mouth of the Tualitin, fell, apparently centuries ago, the Willamette siderite, the third largest iron meteorite in the world.
- The date of formation is estimated to be about 5,000 years ago (Holocene), as a result of the impact of large elements of a siderite (iron meteorite), probably coming from the Perseids, which impact Earth during early August of each year.
- Example sentences
- The dominant lithologies associated with the blue asbestos are banded magnetite-hematite-chert ironstones, stilpnomelanerich massive ironstone, and iron-silicate-bearing and sideritic banded ironstones.
- At Montceau-les-Mines only five specimens of Amynilyspes have been found up to now out of 23,250 sideritic concretions that have yielded animal remains (coprolites excluded).
- Here, the Nancy sequence consists of 10 m of greenish-gray, silty mudstone and shale with scattered sideritic nodules.
Definition of siderite in:
- US English dictionary