Definition of siderite in English:
1 [mass noun] A brown mineral consisting of ferrous carbonate, occurring as the main component of some kinds of ironstone or as rhombohedral crystals in mineral veins.
- Of particular interest are superb specimens of lustrous, pale lavender fluorite crystals, many of which are associated with sphalerite and siderite from what remained of the flats surrounding the Diana vein.
- It was the largest orebody found in the Rocky Point zone of the Sawatch Quartzite; ores were of the zinc manto type with marmatite, argentiferous galena, pyrite, and siderite.
- The fine-grained sediment of the matrix is composed chiefly of siderite, with lesser amounts of illite, calcite, quartz, and bitumen.
2A meteorite consisting mainly of nickel and iron.
- On a hillside, three miles above the mouth of the Tualitin, fell, apparently centuries ago, the Willamette siderite, the third largest iron meteorite in the world.
- The date of formation is estimated to be about 5,000 years ago (Holocene), as a result of the impact of large elements of a siderite (iron meteorite), probably coming from the Perseids, which impact Earth during early August of each year.
- Example sentences
- The dominant lithologies associated with the blue asbestos are banded magnetite-hematite-chert ironstones, stilpnomelanerich massive ironstone, and iron-silicate-bearing and sideritic banded ironstones.
- At Montceau-les-Mines only five specimens of Amynilyspes have been found up to now out of 23,250 sideritic concretions that have yielded animal remains (coprolites excluded).
- Here, the Nancy sequence consists of 10 m of greenish-gray, silty mudstone and shale with scattered sideritic nodules.
Definition of siderite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia