Definition of sienna in English:
1A kind of ferruginous earth used as a pigment in painting, normally yellowish-brown in colour ( raw sienna) or deep reddish-brown when roasted ( burnt sienna).
- Natural ochres, siennas, and umbers are found in a range of colours from red, orange, yellow, and brown to virtually black.
- In the middle of the zone, where it narrowed to less than a kilometre near Byumba, I spotted soldiers swarming around the rich sienna of freshly turned mounds of earth; they were like giant anthills bracketing the city on both flanks.
1.1A yellowish- or deep-reddish brown colour.
- Avoid big, bulky sweaters and select thin knits (with no wild life embellishments, please) in warm dark hues like eggplant, sienna, or olive and wear them out over your jeans.
- He also extended his gamut of colours to include umbers and siennas; transparent oxides as well.
- Each animal is shown completely isolated, without context or even a horizon line, while the siennas, ochers and blacks of the scorches make for forms that pop out from the bare backgrounds.
late 18th century: from Italian (terra di) Sienna '(earth of) Siena'.
Definition of sienna in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan