Definition of sienna in English:
1A kind of ferruginous earth used as a pigment in painting, normally yellowish-brown in colour ( raw sienna) or deep reddish-brown when roasted ( burnt sienna).
- Natural ochres, siennas, and umbers are found in a range of colours from red, orange, yellow, and brown to virtually black.
- In the middle of the zone, where it narrowed to less than a kilometre near Byumba, I spotted soldiers swarming around the rich sienna of freshly turned mounds of earth; they were like giant anthills bracketing the city on both flanks.
1.1A yellowish- or deep-reddish brown colour.
- Avoid big, bulky sweaters and select thin knits (with no wild life embellishments, please) in warm dark hues like eggplant, sienna, or olive and wear them out over your jeans.
- He also extended his gamut of colours to include umbers and siennas; transparent oxides as well.
- Each animal is shown completely isolated, without context or even a horizon line, while the siennas, ochers and blacks of the scorches make for forms that pop out from the bare backgrounds.
Late 18th century: from Italian (terra di) Sienna '(earth of) Siena'.
Words that rhyme with siennaantenna, Avicenna, duenna, henna, Jenna, Jenner, Morwenna, Ravenna, senna, Siena, tenner, tenor, Vienna
Definition of sienna in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.