- 1(Especially in Spanish-speaking countries or the western US) a long jagged mountain chain.More example sentences
- In the far north-west, the splinter-like peninsula of Lower California, with its high sierras, is a southward extension of the Sierra Nevada.
- It was treated to a carefully controlled, often intimate account that explored the foothills as thoroughly as the high sierras.
- This meant that Sonoran rivers, which originate in the eastern sierras, had to be diverted.
- 2A code word representing the letter S, used in radio communication.More example sentences
- In the phonetic alphabet, my initials are Sierra Echo (first and middle name), what is yours?
mid 16th century: Spanish, from Latin serra 'saw'.
More definitions of sierraDefinition of sierra in:
- The US English dictionary