1Conclude a letter, broadcast, or other message: he signed off with a few words of advice
More example sentences
- It was their farewell message as they signed off.
- The letter signs off with ‘I have no doubt we can look forward to your continued cooperation and support’.
- ‘Our customers end up saving more and getting a lot more than yours do,’ said the letter before signing off as ‘Your friends at Wanadoo’.
1.1Conclude an activity: he signed off from school athletics with a double in the shot
More example sentences
- In 1891/92 he signed off from big cricket with the wicket of WG Grace in a game with Lord Sheffield's team.
- Meanwhile, good luck to Linda who signed off from AM this morning and heads to London with her partner.
- He signed off from the Army in October 1991 and is due to leave in October 1992.
2British Register to stop receiving unemployment benefit after finding work.
- He was unable to find a place on the scheme, despite having no job, because he had been encouraged to sign off as unemployed some years earlier.
- He added: ‘I would be concerned if individual soldiers are being pressurised into signing off because it's felt that they are a burden and the powers that be want them off the books.’
1The conclusion of a letter, broadcast, etc.
- The cinema chain polled branch managers of its nearly 100 complexes around Britain to draw up the epitome of verbal sign-offs.
- In a sign-off that had few echoes of a bygone age when BBC radio presenters wore a dinner jacket to address the nation, Zoe Ball trilled: ‘It's over to you, Coxy!’
- And in his sign-off, the veteran journalist took a parting shot at the industry that increasingly values entertainment over news.
2 Bridge A bid indicating that the bidder wishes to end bidding.
- When a player or a pair are consistently involved in strange auctions that end up in the best contract, like bidding 7 after a sign-off and finding a surprise void, ask yourself what prompted their action.
- A jump bid to five of the agreed minor is always a sign-off, not a trump ask bid as with a major suit.
- A five-level response in the agreed suit would be a sign-off.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.