1Conclude a letter, broadcast, or other message: he signed off with a few words of advice
More example sentences
- It was their farewell message as they signed off.
- The letter signs off with ‘I have no doubt we can look forward to your continued cooperation and support’.
- ‘Our customers end up saving more and getting a lot more than yours do,’ said the letter before signing off as ‘Your friends at Wanadoo’.
1.1Conclude an activity: he signed off from school athletics with a double in the shot
More example sentences
- In 1891/92 he signed off from big cricket with the wicket of WG Grace in a game with Lord Sheffield's team.
- Meanwhile, good luck to Linda who signed off from AM this morning and heads to London with her partner.
- He signed off from the Army in October 1991 and is due to leave in October 1992.
2British Register to stop receiving unemployment benefit after finding work.
- He was unable to find a place on the scheme, despite having no job, because he had been encouraged to sign off as unemployed some years earlier.
- He added: ‘I would be concerned if individual soldiers are being pressurised into signing off because it's felt that they are a burden and the powers that be want them off the books.’
1The conclusion of a letter, broadcast, etc.
- The cinema chain polled branch managers of its nearly 100 complexes around Britain to draw up the epitome of verbal sign-offs.
- In a sign-off that had few echoes of a bygone age when BBC radio presenters wore a dinner jacket to address the nation, Zoe Ball trilled: ‘It's over to you, Coxy!’
- And in his sign-off, the veteran journalist took a parting shot at the industry that increasingly values entertainment over news.
2 Bridge A bid indicating that the bidder wishes to end bidding.
- When a player or a pair are consistently involved in strange auctions that end up in the best contract, like bidding 7 after a sign-off and finding a surprise void, ask yourself what prompted their action.
- A jump bid to five of the agreed minor is always a sign-off, not a trump ask bid as with a major suit.
- A five-level response in the agreed suit would be a sign-off.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan