Definition of signet in English:
1A small seal, especially one set in a ring, used instead of or with a signature to give authentication to an official document.
- Since the great seal was heavy, the practice developed of employing a privy seal and later a signet.
- Griffin pressed his signet into the seal and handed it to the messenger with a soft smile.
- Then he sealed it with wax and applied a signet that he kept on the top shelf of the bookcase.
1.1 (usually the Signet) The royal seal formerly used for special purposes in England and Scotland, and in Scotland later as the seal of the Court of Session.
- There shall be a Commissioner for the Territory who shall be appointed by Her Majesty by Commission under Her Majesty's Sign Manual and Signet and shall hold office during Her Majesty's pleasure.
- I enclose for publication with this letter a copy of the Commission under the Sign Manual and Signet of Her Majesty the Queen appointing me to be the ‘governor general of St Lucia.’
Words that rhyme with signetcygnet
Definition of signet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia