1The quality of being worthy of attention; importance: adolescent education was felt to be a social issue of some significance
More example sentences
- The significance of the imports is that those books are priced much lower.
- Mr Suzuki said the coup issue has special significance for the union movement.
- We now come to the importance and significance of science in human affairs.
importance, import, noteworthiness, consequence, substance, seriousness, gravity, weight, weightiness, magnitude, moment, momentousness;
memorableness, unforgettableness, pronounced nature, remarkableness, outstanding nature, markedness, obviousness, conspicuousness, strikingness, distinction, impressiveness, uncommonness, unusualness, rarity, extraordinariness, exceptionalness, specialness
2The meaning to be found in words or events: the significance of what was happening was clearer to me than to her
More example sentences
- What he probably means is that this was the first event of any real significance; only then did his life properly begin.
- On my block in Laventille, teenagers didn't attach due significance to the event.
- This event has additional significance this year as it is the second leg of the Rivercare Championship for the Ouse.
meaning, sense, signification, import, thrust, drift, gist, burden, theme, implication, tenor, message, essence, substance, relevance, purport, intention, spirit, point
3 (also statistical significance) The extent to which a result deviates from that expected to arise simply from random variation or errors in sampling.
- The failure of the results to reach statistical significance in women may simply reflect the fact that fewer procedures are carried out in women.
- We used the Wald statistic to assess statistical significance of the results.
- The statistical significance of each estimated coefficient was assessed using the Wald statistic for each.
Late Middle English (denoting unstated meaning): from Old French, or from Latin significantia, from significare 'indicate, portend'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sig¦nifi|cance
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.