- 1British A device fixed to the exhaust of a motor vehicle to reduce engine noise.More example sentences
- One day between Collooney and Ballisodare, a driver of McGowan's lost the exhaust silencer from the engine in a flood.
- Its twin chamber exhaust system is made of stainless steel all the way to the silencers, before exhaust emissions leave the car through the four tailpipes.
- On Tuesday, the traffic police and the Transport Department plan to conduct joint inspection of vehicles that emit excess smoke, produce more noise and have defective silencers, headlamps and tail lamps.
- 2A device used to reduce the sound of a gun as it is fired.More example sentences
- They were also charged with conspiracy to possess firearms with intent to endanger life, and possession of handguns, silencers and a machine gun.
- In a routine check the customs officers found in his bag a Kalashnikov machine gun, two pistols with silencers, ammunition and a large number of special pens, which fire bullets.
- He opened fire, the silencers muffling the gunfire to a small puff noise.
More definitions of silencerDefinition of silencer in:
- The US English dictionary