Definition of silencer in English:
1British A device fixed to the exhaust of a motor vehicle to reduce engine noise.
- One day between Collooney and Ballisodare, a driver of McGowan's lost the exhaust silencer from the engine in a flood.
- Its twin chamber exhaust system is made of stainless steel all the way to the silencers, before exhaust emissions leave the car through the four tailpipes.
- On Tuesday, the traffic police and the Transport Department plan to conduct joint inspection of vehicles that emit excess smoke, produce more noise and have defective silencers, headlamps and tail lamps.
2A device used to reduce the sound of a gun as it is fired.
- They were also charged with conspiracy to possess firearms with intent to endanger life, and possession of handguns, silencers and a machine gun.
- In a routine check the customs officers found in his bag a Kalashnikov machine gun, two pistols with silencers, ammunition and a large number of special pens, which fire bullets.
- He opened fire, the silencers muffling the gunfire to a small puff noise.
Definition of silencer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia