noun[mass noun] Medicine
Lung fibrosis caused by the inhalation of dust containing silica.
- The breathing of coal and rock dust causes black lung, the common name given to the lung diseases pneumoconiosis and silicosis.
- In the concentration camp he had contracted silicosis, a lung disease similar to a combination of tuberculosis and emphysema from breathing in the fine dust that filtered through the cracks in the walls and floors.
- For those that don't know, silicosis is an occupational lung disease that can be fatal.
- Example sentences
- In a period of 18 months, we have encountered 4 cases of right middle lobe atelectasis associated with endobronchial silicotic lesions of right middle lobe bronchi.
- The cause of atelectasis is thought to be due to enlargement of silicotic lymph nodes based on image study.
- Neither HIV-positive nor silicotic miners had any special clinical monitoring or follow-up at this site until an HIV care clinic was started in 2000.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sili|cosis
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.