- 1The commercially bred caterpillar of the domesticated silk moth (Bombyx mori), which spins a silk cocoon that is processed to yield silk fibre.More example sentences
- The domesticated silkworm is one of a few lepidopteran species that have been used for genetic analysis.
- Silk is a continuous protein filament spun by the silkworm to form its cocoon.
- The silkworm is a lepidopteran insect with a long history of significant agricultural value.
- 1.1 [with modifier] A commercial silk-yielding caterpillar of a saturniid moth.More example sentences
- Tussah silk, often called shantung, is made from the cocoons of wild tussah silkworms that eat oak and juniper leaves.
More definitions of silkwormDefinition of silkworm in:
- The US English dictionary