A fish of an order (Siluriformes) that comprises the catfishes.
- Large channel siluroids that feed on the characins are the second group of prized fish.
- During their life cycles, the large characins and siluroids need to undertake long migrations in the large rivers and their main tributaries for breeding and feeding purposes.
- Experts say catfishes, a species of siluroid, can survive even in seriously contaminated water because its gill and skin both perform the respiratory function.
Relating to the siluroids.
- Large siluroid fish are caught using a wooden double hook, the design of which is unique to South America.
- The genus Belodontichthys dinema was proposed by Bleeker in his revision of siluroid fishes.
- A wide spectrum of characoid, gymnotoid and siluroid families, cichlids, and poeciliids are especially well represented.
Mid 19th century: from Silurus (genus name) + -oid.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.