Definition of siluroid in English:
A fish of an order (Siluriformes) that comprises the catfishes.
- Large channel siluroids that feed on the characins are the second group of prized fish.
- During their life cycles, the large characins and siluroids need to undertake long migrations in the large rivers and their main tributaries for breeding and feeding purposes.
- Experts say catfishes, a species of siluroid, can survive even in seriously contaminated water because its gill and skin both perform the respiratory function.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the siluroids.
- Large siluroid fish are caught using a wooden double hook, the design of which is unique to South America.
- The genus Belodontichthys dinema was proposed by Bleeker in his revision of siluroid fishes.
- A wide spectrum of characoid, gymnotoid and siluroid families, cichlids, and poeciliids are especially well represented.
mid 19th century: from Silurus (genus name) + -oid.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia