2A stylized fern leaf in silver, as an emblem of New Zealand.
- The results of the Canterbury team reflected the commitment of the contestants for the competition in their quest to wear the silver fern for New Zealand in St. Gallen.
- He knew he'd earn his silver fern, because there were 18 games on tour.
- I think I'll start a lobby group to have the national flag changed to a black background with a silver fern.
wear the silver fern
- NZ informal Be a member of an international New Zealand sports team: the girls are honoured to be wearing the silver fern for the first timeMore example sentences
- The results reflected the commitment of the contestants for the competition in their quest to wear the silver fern for New Zealand.
- The youngster can wear the silver fern through having Kiwi parents.
- These guys are wearing the silver fern, they're putting their marker in the ground and are saying "I'm here to represent my country".
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.