2A stylized fern leaf in silver, as an emblem of New Zealand.
- The results of the Canterbury team reflected the commitment of the contestants for the competition in their quest to wear the silver fern for New Zealand in St. Gallen.
- He knew he'd earn his silver fern, because there were 18 games on tour.
- I think I'll start a lobby group to have the national flag changed to a black background with a silver fern.
wear the silver fern
- NZ informal Be a member of an international New Zealand sports team: the girls are honoured to be wearing the silver fern for the first timeMore example sentences
- The results reflected the commitment of the contestants for the competition in their quest to wear the silver fern for New Zealand.
- The youngster can wear the silver fern through having Kiwi parents.
- These guys are wearing the silver fern, they're putting their marker in the ground and are saying "I'm here to represent my country".
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sil¦ver fern
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.