Definition of silver fox in English:
1A red fox of a North American variety which has black fur with white tips.
- The old prison is now a museum, and the nearby wildlife park has rare Scottish wildcats as well as silver foxes, badgers, deer and wallabies.
- The silver fox, a variant of the red fox, is a close relative of the dog.
- With his grey silk suit to match his hair, Vincent suggests a silver fox (the predator image is underscored when a coyote, eyes flaring briefly, crosses in front of the taxi).
1.1 [mass noun] The fur of the silver fox.
- One technical innovation is Saga's fish scale technique which uses different fur types such as silver fox with mink to create a lightness of texture with pattern.
- Dressed in an ever deeper purple, the king's robe was adorned with silver fox around the neckline.
- She called up a mental picture of herself with a long, luxurious silver fox tail wrapped around her body.
2 informal A handsome grey-haired man: suddenly this drop-dead gorgeous man appeared, a real silver fox
More example sentences
- Suddenly this drop-dead gorgeous man appeared, a real silver fox, who turned out to be Oliver.
- Bill Clinton still had about half a head of brown hair when he took office but was a silver fox two years later.
- Winona Ryder plays a dying young woman who is romanced by silver fox Richard Gere in this drippy, luxe love story directed by Joan Chen.
Definition of silver fox in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan