noun (plural same or silverfishes)
1A silvery bristletail that lives in houses and other buildings, chiefly nocturnal and feeding on starchy materials.
- Lepisma saccharina, family Lepismatidae
- Ants and insects including silverfish, woolly bears, earwigs and spiders can be tackled with products from hardware shops.
- The owner of a ‘filthy’ Hull bakery which was found to have an infestation of ants, silverfish and grain beetle has been fined £6,000 for a catalogue of offences that could have led to serious food poisoning.
- Borates are the most effective treatment for many crawling insects including, roaches, silverfish, larder beetles, carpenter ants, and other woodborers, as well as wood decay organisms.
2A silver-coloured fish, especially a variety of goldfish.
- But during studies of the foraging behavior of Weddell seals, the researchers acquired considerable data on two important fish species: the Antarctic silverfish and the Antarctic toothfish.
- In addition Pleuragramma antarcticum, the Antarctic silverfish, is the primary fish prey for both predators.
- The sun had set and looking up through the water we could see the moon's rays filtering in and giving the water an eerie silverfish glow.
Definition of silverfish in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.