noun (plural same or silverfishes)
- 1A silvery bristletail that lives in houses and other buildings, chiefly nocturnal and feeding on starchy materials.
More example sentences
- Lepisma saccharina, family Lepismatidae
- Ants and insects including silverfish, woolly bears, earwigs and spiders can be tackled with products from hardware shops.
- The owner of a ‘filthy’ Hull bakery which was found to have an infestation of ants, silverfish and grain beetle has been fined £6,000 for a catalogue of offences that could have led to serious food poisoning.
- Borates are the most effective treatment for many crawling insects including, roaches, silverfish, larder beetles, carpenter ants, and other woodborers, as well as wood decay organisms.
- 2A silver-coloured fish, especially a variety of goldfish.More example sentences
- But during studies of the foraging behavior of Weddell seals, the researchers acquired considerable data on two important fish species: the Antarctic silverfish and the Antarctic toothfish.
- In addition Pleuragramma antarcticum, the Antarctic silverfish, is the primary fish prey for both predators.
- The sun had set and looking up through the water we could see the moon's rays filtering in and giving the water an eerie silverfish glow.
More definitions of silverfishDefinition of silverfish in:
- The US English dictionary