- 1Relating to or affecting apes or monkeys: simian immunodeficiency virus Compare with prosimian.More example sentences
- Researchers have identified simian immunodeficiency virus in wild apes for the first time.
- The simian immunodeficiency virus destabilizes lamellar and promotes hexagonal phase, leading to the speculation that it has an effective negative intrinsic curvature.
- Both vaccines were designed against SHIV, a virus containing components of HIV and the related monkey virus, simian immunodeficiency virus.
- 1.1 • derogatory Resembling a monkey: his simian featuresMore example sentences
- Apparently, a simian line is a feature in palmistry that he displays.
- Carlos is up next, and seems to rather frighten James and his simian features somewhat by being chatty before his performance.
- ‘Water, big!’ said the ape-man, a reverence extending across his human-simian features.
nounBack to top
- An ape or monkey.More example sentences
- We call these creatures Pro simians (meaning before the simians or apes).
- In this age of growing animal-empowerment, do you think monkeys and other simians should be allowed to drink, if they so desire?
- Actors playing the simians choreograph ape-like movements with ease.
early 17th century: from Latin simia 'ape', perhaps via Latin from Greek simos 'flat-nosed'.
More definitions of simianDefinition of simian in:
- The US English dictionary