Definition of similitude in English:
1The quality or state of being similar to something: Conrad uses a range of constructions which express or imply similitude [count noun]: there is a striking similitude between the brother and sister
More example sentences
- From a sociological point of view, it is therefore an expression of similitude of being, but also agency (the means to act) within a social technology.
- See Foucault on resemblance and similitude.
- Richard Eyre summed it up well recently: cinema and television are mediums of similitude, and radio and the stage mediums of metaphor.
resemblance, similarity, likeness, sameness, similar nature, comparability, correspondence, comparison, analogy, parallel, parallelism, equivalence;
interchangeability, closeness, nearness, affinity, homogeneity, agreement, indistinguishability, uniformity;
1.1 [count noun] archaic A comparison between two things.
- He further suggests that there are two types of parables: narrative parables (comparisons with narration) and similitudes (comparisons with ‘is like’ or ‘is as if’).
- As a step towards addressing these questions I would like to draw attention to another set of similitudes operative in ‘Loves Progress’: the monetary tropes linking value to love or desire.
- Though full of similitudes and routine panegyrics, the book is valuable for its lack of originality and reflection of current views.
1.2 [count noun] archaic A person or thing resembling someone or something else.
- Everyone agrees that he is a similitude of his father.
- But might we not know a given thing through its similitude, without having first perceived it, if another being should reveal to us that this was its similitude?
Words that rhyme with similitudeverisimilitude
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan