- A small eye of an insect or other arthropod which has only one lens, typically present in one or more pairs. Also called ocellus. Contrasted with compound eye.More example sentences
- Complementing the large compound eyes, locusts have three much smaller simple eyes or ocelli characterized by rapid signal transmission and high photic sensitivity but very poor spatial resolution.
- Between the compound eyes are usually three simple eye, or ocelli.
- Humans, indeed all seeing vertebrates, have so-called simple eyes: they have a single lens system, focusing light to form one, continuous image of the outside world.
More definitions of simple eyeDefinition of simple eye in:
- The US English dictionary