Definition of sinewy in English:
1Consisting of or resembling sinews.
- William could feel the statues pressing into his back, their sinewy shapes slithering against his skin.
- Gage is 6-4,212 pounds, with long, sinewy legs.
- The crowd focuses on Wesley Bunch, a tanned, sinewy mountaineer from Jackson with a massive blond afro.
muscular, well muscled, muscly, brawny, well built, powerfully built, burly, strapping, sturdy, rugged, strong, powerful, broad-shouldered, athletic, well knit, muscle-bound, Herculean, manly
North American informal buff
US informal jacked
1.1(Of a person or animal) lean and muscular: a short, sinewy, sunburnt man figurative the language is spare and sinewy
More example sentences
- A place where the contours of the land itself forms a kind of sinewy poetry.
- Charlton is looking, in language, for something beyond what he calls "the sinewy slippage of language"'.
- Her body is a mass of contradictions - strong yet frail-looking, sinewy yet delicate.
Words that rhyme with sinewymildewy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan