Definition of sinister in English:
- Bound in the flayed skin of 100 saints and penned with the blood of virgins, this sinister and forbidden occult text is an item of incredible power.
- Yet there are more sinister happenings afoot, as Count Dracula himself jumps into the mix, searching for a serum to make him invincible.
- Norrell's love of secrecy and Strange's attraction to the wilder edges of magic invoke dark and sinister happenings.
- In many of his books, the heroes are noble trial lawyers while the villains are sinister corporations and the lawyers who agree to defend them.
- Instead it's a candid admission he once lived the furtive lifestyle of a sinister international beer villain.
- Judge Laity in England described the group as ‘corrupt, sinister and dangerous’.
- Each coat of arms has a right and left (i.e. dexter and sinister) heraldic side, as observed by the person carrying the shield.
In Latin sinister meant ‘left’ or ‘left-hand’, but apart from terms in heraldry such as bend sinister, a broad diagonal stripe from top right to bottom left of a shield which is a supposed sign of illegitimacy, sinister in English has never meant the physical left-hand side. Instead it reflects deep-rooted prejudices against left-handedness, which had associations of evil, malice, or dishonesty. See also ambidextrous, dexterous
- Example sentences
- He's dangerously ambitious, sinisterly ambitious.
- More sinisterly, they were - and remain - one of the chief means by which the party keeps an eye on China's citizens, ever watchful for signs of dissent or unrest.
- A look back at his work would reveal a persistent obsession with pain, suffering and the sinisterly hypnotic potential of martyrdom to provoke and inspire.
- Example sentences
- I found Tom McBeath's Iago a very comical one, but he lacked the sinisterness and maliciousness that comprises the other half of Iago's persona.
- In terms of sheer sinisterness, though, I think Herr Lipp and Papa Lazarou are hard to beat.
- Perhaps they thought a dose of sinisterness would give listeners something they could get a firm grip on, but for all the pent-up fantasies that fueled this record, Enemies doesn't rise to the occasion.
Words that rhyme with sinisteradminister, maladminister, minister
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.