1A weight used to sink a fishing line or sounding line.
- The Cod were playing hard to get and the squid baits had to be just about holding the bottom, so that if you lifted the sinker off the bottom by a few yards, the tide would wash the end rig a few yards further downtide.
- If the sinker is light, then the flow of the tide can lift your baits twenty or thirty feet away from the bottom and the feeding fish!
- Another result of human interaction is lead poisoning resulting from ingestion of fishing sinkers.
2 (also sinker ball) Baseball A pitch which drops markedly as it nears home plate: he throws a sinker as hard as 92 mph
More example sentences
- But I wasn't looking for that pitch because he was now throwing sinkers away.
- Now he's trying to smooth out his delivery and return the sink to his sinker.
- Davey is more accurate than he was in the minors, but he might need to aim higher or take some of the sink out of his sinker.
Words that rhyme with sinkerblinker, clinker, drinker, finca, freethinker, Glinka, Inca, inker, jinker, shrinker, Soyinka, stinker, stotinka, thinker, tinker, Treblinka, winker
Definition of sinker in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.