noun (plural same)
another term for the Dakota people of North America or their language. See Dakota2.
- Before long the Sioux, who can't speak English, let alone French, finds himself fighting for survival on the streets of Marseille.
- I don't know if Congress included representatives of the Sioux in their deliberations when the legislation was discussed.
- North Dakota's mascot, by the way, is the fighting Sioux.
Relating to the Sioux or their language.
- American Indian of Sioux tribe, Billy Mills, won a race for the first time in his life.
- Yesterday, President Runningbear began talks with Apache and Sioux tribes in an effort to persuade other Native American nations to join the cause.
- Smith connects Sioux history with other Plains Indians' experience.
North American French, from Nadouessioux from Ojibwa (Ottawa dialect) nātowēssiwak, by substitution of the French plural ending -x for the Ojibwa plural -ak.
Words that rhyme with Siouxaccrue, adieu, ado, anew, Anjou, aperçu, askew, ballyhoo, bamboo, bedew, bestrew, billet-doux, blew, blue, boo, boohoo, brew, buckaroo, canoe, chew, clew, clou, clue, cock-a-doodle-doo, cockatoo, construe, coo, Corfu, coup, crew, Crewe, cru, cue, déjà vu, derring-do, dew, didgeridoo, do, drew, due, endue, ensue, eschew, feu, few, flew, flu, flue, foreknew, glue, gnu, goo, grew, halloo, hereto, hew, Hindu, hitherto, how-do-you-do, hue, Hugh, hullabaloo, imbrue, imbue, jackaroo, Jew, kangaroo, Karroo, Kathmandu, kazoo, Kiangsu, knew, Kru, K2, kung fu, Lahu, Lanzhou, Lao-tzu, lasso, lieu, loo, Lou, Manchu, mangetout, mew, misconstrue, miscue, moo, moue, mu, nardoo, new, non-U, nu, ooh, outdo, outflew, outgrew, peekaboo, Peru, pew, plew, Poitou, pooh, pooh-pooh, potoroo, pursue, queue, revue, roo, roux, rue, Selous, set-to, shampoo, shih-tzu, shoe, shoo, shrew, skean dhu, skew, skidoo, slew, smew, snafu, sou, spew, sprue, stew, strew, subdue, sue, switcheroo, taboo, tattoo, thereto, thew, threw, thro, through, thru, tickety-boo, Timbuktu, tiramisu, to, to-do, too, toodle-oo, true, true-blue, tu-whit tu-whoo, two, vendue, view, vindaloo, virtu, wahoo, wallaroo, Waterloo, well-to-do, whereto, whew, who, withdrew, woo, Wu, yew, you, zoo
Definition of Sioux in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.