Definition of sirenian in English:
A large aquatic plant-eating mammal of the order Sirenia, such as a manatee or dugong.
- The remaining sirenians, are seriously threatened by hunting, habitat degradation, and in the case of manatees, collisions with boats in the shallow coastal areas they prefer.
- Modern sirenians are large, docile, aquatic herbivores.
- To understand isotopic variation in Florida sirenians, we selected four teeth for serial sampling.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting sirenians.
- This may have supported a strong, fleshy lip with which Thalassocnus grazed seagrass or kelp, much like manatees and their sirenian relatives.
- The hyrax - elephant - sirenian core is well-accepted on morphological grounds.
- Corystosiren is a late-surviving dugong at a time when sirenian fossils are exceedingly rare in Florida.
Definition of sirenian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan