Definition of sisal in English:
1A Mexican agave with large fleshy leaves, cultivated for fibre production.
- Agave sisalana, family Agavaceae
- Other products used are sisal and ficus leaves, as well as discarded cotton, usually from worn cotton sheets from hospitals.
- Some commercial agricultural products, such as sisal, coffee, and cotton, are sold.
- Commercial farming of cotton, pineapples, and sisal has had little success.
1.1The fibre made from the sisal plant, used especially for ropes or matting.
- He had noticed that the thick sisal rope had been cut halfway through with a sharp instrument, probably a knife.
- American companies little by little took control of the Mexican supply, making sisal twine cheaper and more reliable than it had been.
- Products made out of biodegradable materials like sisal and areca spathes were also on show at the Town Hall.
mid 19th century: from Sisal, the name of a port in Yucatán, Mexico.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan