1A Mexican agave with large fleshy leaves, cultivated for fibre production.
- Agave sisalana, family Agavaceae.
- Other products used are sisal and ficus leaves, as well as discarded cotton, usually from worn cotton sheets from hospitals.
- Some commercial agricultural products, such as sisal, coffee, and cotton, are sold.
- Commercial farming of cotton, pineapples, and sisal has had little success.
1.1The fibre made from the sisal plant, used especially for ropes or matting.
- He had noticed that the thick sisal rope had been cut halfway through with a sharp instrument, probably a knife.
- American companies little by little took control of the Mexican supply, making sisal twine cheaper and more reliable than it had been.
- Products made out of biodegradable materials like sisal and areca spathes were also on show at the Town Hall.
Mid 19th century: from Sisal, the name of a port in Yucatán, Mexico.
Words that rhyme with sisalparadisal, trysail
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sisal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.