A small songbird related to the goldfinch, with yellow and black in the plumage.
- Genus Carduelis (and Serinus), family Fringillidae: the North Eurasian (spruce) siskin (C. spinus), with dark-streaked greenish-yellow plumage, and several species in the New World
More example sentences
- Seedeaters such as evening grosbeaks, goldfinches, and pine siskins prefer black oil sunflower and niger thistle.
- Niger thistle appeals especially to pine siskins, goldfinches, and purple and house finches.
- After a four-winter absence delightful siskins returned to our garden in 1994.
mid 16th century: from Middle Dutch siseken, a diminutive related to German Zeisig, of Slavic origin.
Definition of siskin in:
- The US English dictionary