- A small Australasian songbird of the nuthatch family, typically having a black cap or head.
More example sentences
- Genus Neositta, family Sittidae: two species, in particular the varied sittella (N. chrysoptera) of Australia
- The sittellas often forage head-downward, and the tree-creepers climb up tree trunks seeking prey under the bark.
- Despite similarities in appearance and behaviour, the Australian sittellas are not closely related to nuthatches.
- The varied sittella has a grey body and breast, white head and tail tip and black wings and remaining parts of the body.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Sittella (former genus name), from Greek sittē 'nuthatch'.