1A set of circumstances in which one finds oneself; a state of affairs: the situation between her and Jake had come to a head the political situation in Russia
More example sentences
- If your thoughts are good and creative then you don't need to worry about the situations and circumstances.
- The worst of the economic crisis may be over, but the political situation is far from decided.
- On occasions I've been placed in situations I would consider dangerous.
circumstances, set of circumstances, state of affairs, affairs, state, condition, case;
informal kettle of fish, ball game
situations vacant (or wanted)
- chiefly British Lists of jobs offered (or sought), especially in a newspaper.Example sentences
- Fifty companies looking for employees in a variety of fields were selected at random from newspaper situations vacant columns and recruitment websites.
- If I needed work I'd search through the situations vacant ads.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: situ|ation
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.