Definition of sjambok in English:
(In South Africa) a long, stiff whip, originally made of rhinoceros hide.
- The police used tear gas and sjamboks to break up the crowd.
- He was beaten by 16 youths carrying hammers, axes, sticks and sjamboks, and suffered severe head injuries.
- The officers, armed with batons and sjamboks, struggled to control the horde.
verb (sjamboks, sjambokking, sjambokked)[with object] Back to top
Flog with a sjambok: she was sjambokked because she was thought to have been involved in witchcraft
More example sentences
- He volunteered to combat looting in the chaos of the strike, and sjambokked nine people for looting.
- The two men managed to run away and the strikers began sjambokking and hitting Grobbelaar with sticks.
- Sithole was sjambokked and punched so severely that he could not go to work for two months.
Words that rhyme with sjambokmanioc • Antioch
Definition of sjambok in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.