Definition of sjambok in English:
(In South Africa) a long, stiff whip, originally made of rhinoceros hide.
- The police used tear gas and sjamboks to break up the crowd.
- He was beaten by 16 youths carrying hammers, axes, sticks and sjamboks, and suffered severe head injuries.
- The officers, armed with batons and sjamboks, struggled to control the horde.
verb (sjamboks, sjambokking, sjambokked)[with object] Back to top
Flog with a sjambok: she was sjambokked because she was thought to have been involved in witchcraft
More example sentences
- He volunteered to combat looting in the chaos of the strike, and sjambokked nine people for looting.
- The two men managed to run away and the strikers began sjambokking and hitting Grobbelaar with sticks.
- Sithole was sjambokked and punched so severely that he could not go to work for two months.
Words that rhyme with sjambokmanioc • Antioch
Definition of sjambok in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan