noun (plural skerries)Scottish
- A reef or rocky island.More example sentences
- Some are just mudflats, some just sandbanks, many are rocky outcrops and skerries known only to seals, albatrosses, and retired lighthouse-keepers.
- A boat from the killer fleet had struck the reef out past the skerries and was being pounded to pieces by the pelting waves.
- The resulting crumbs range in size from mere nameless skerries to islands the size of a city centre like Lidingö.
early 17th century: Orkney dialect, from Old Norse sker.
More definitions of skerryDefinition of skerry in:
- The US English dictionary