noun (plural same or skilfishes)
- A large fish of the North Pacific which is an important food fish in Japan.
More example sentences
- Erilepis zonifer, family Anoplopomatidae
- Sturgeon, Pacific cod, rockfishes, skilfish and schooling sablefish will swim above and below the tunnel.
- The skilfish, Erilepis zonifer, is restricted to the continental shelfs and does not enter deep water.
- It isn't actually a cod at all but a member of the skilfish family, and its white, large-flaked meat is sweet and so rich it makes salmon seem lean.
late 19th century: from Haida sqil.