Definition of skimmer in English:
1A person or thing that skims.
- Loyal skimmers of this column will be aware that I like to pride myself on my cultural know-how.
- I knew it was a scam, selling to these offshore skimmers.
- Bookstore skimmers will, however, be disappointed to discover that the dirty parts aren't that dirty.
1.1A utensil or device for removing a substance from the surface of a liquid: a perforated skimmer
More example sentences
- Remove with a bamboo skimmer, drain on paper towels, sprinkle with salt, and serve immediately.
- The skimmer removes detritus that would otherwise sink and contribute to algae growth.
- Summer is the time to keep your strainers and skimmers clean.
2A hydroplane, hydrofoil, hovercraft, or other vessel that has little or no displacement at speed.
- There were a few skimmers still moving about in the harbor and their sleek bodies glowed in the red dusk light.
- Finally he saw a convoy of four large, roofed skimmers surrounded by rovers and floating turrets set out from the shuttleport.
- Then he regained himself and shook his fist, ‘Get off my skimmer!’
5A long-winged seabird related to the terns, feeding by flying low over the water surface with its knife-like extended lower mandible immersed.
- Genus Rynchops, family Rynchopidae (or Laridae): three species, one each in Africa, Asia, and America
- Hook them through the belly and they'll swim up, but that will only feed the skimmers, terns and gulls wheedling overhead.
- North Deer is recognized worldwide as having an outstanding concentration of colonial nesting birds, including skimmers, gulls and terns.
- In late summer, numerous egrets and herons appear, along with common, roseate, least, Forster's and black terns and maybe even a black skimmer.
6 North American term for darter (sense 3.
- A string of tiny skimmers were whipped out during the contest with over 300 fish going to make up the net of 6lb 12 oz, enough for seventh place in the 96 field.
- Trevor Price (Tang Hall Match Group) also had a skimmer in his net from the bottom peg on the Palace Ings.
- Frank Atkinson led with a fine 27 lb 10 oz net of skimmers, rudd and small carp taken alternating worm, meat and pellet.
Middle English: from Old French escumoir, from escumer 'skim', from escume 'scum'.
Words that rhyme with skimmerdimmer, glimmer, limber, limner, shimmer, simmer, slimmer, strimmer, swimmer, trimmer, zimmer
Definition of skimmer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.