Definition of skimmington in English:
A procession made through a village intended to bring ridicule on and make an example of a nagging wife or an unfaithful husband.
- Athough skimmingtons and charivaris differed from place to place, they all contained similar elements.
- I think it's high time we bring back the skimmington ride, this time with a bluesy rock n’ roll beat.
- Other marital irregularities in Burbage at later periods gave cause for skimmingtons, which are recorded in 1625 and 1835.
- historical Hold a skimmington procession: wife-beating was thought dishonourable and was punished in both England and America by riding skimmingtonMore example sentences
- The poor Tories are suffering the most cruel persecutions; some have been obliged to ride skimmington.
- The plaintiff declares, that he is a hackney- coachman, and that the defendant with an intent to disgrace him did ride Skimmington.
Early 17th century: perhaps from skimming ladle, used as a thrashing instrument during the procession.
Definition of skimmington in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.