adjective (skinnier, skinniest)
- 1(Of a person or part of their body) unattractively thin: his skinny armsMore example sentences
thin, scrawny, scraggy, bony, angular, raw-boned, hollow-cheeked, gaunt, as thin as a rake, skin-and-bones, stick-like, size-zero, emaciated, skeletal, pinched, undernourished, underfed; slim, lean, slender, rangy; lanky, spindly, gangly, gangling, gawky• dated spindle-shanked• rare starveling, macilent
- I was a skinny kid, not athletic or anything, but I wanted to go to the parties with the football players and stuff.
- These are the concerns that skinny people never have to think about.
- She sees skinny people on TV and in magazines and wants to look like them, but getting there is beyond her.
- 2(Of a garment) tight-fitting: a skinny jumperMore example sentences
- Capes, big brass buttons, skinny knits belted over print dresses, together with marvellously subtle colour combinations made for one of the most beautiful collections in Milan.
- You know, they have to go to the hairdresser, to the nail thing, to do makeup, and then they fit in their skinny dresses.
- Wear this bra under strapless tops and skinny tanks.
- 2.1(Of a pair of jeans or trousers) tight-fitting and with very narrow legs: in the winter I live in skinny jeans and bootsMore example sentences
- Check out his uptown vixen look of rhinestone-studded bra tops worn with skinny pants.
- Every girl has a pair of skinny pants at home that she can't get into any more, right?
- The silhouette continues to be long tops and skinny pants.
- 3 • informal (Of coffee) made with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk: one skinny latte to go, pleaseMore example sentences
- Ultimately, Jessica's relationship dilemma feels about as agonising as choosing between a skinny decaf latte and a grande mochaccino.
- Or just grab a skinny cappuccino or latte for a low-calorie warm drink.
- Some of us even want a skinny mocha decaff latte with a twist.
noun (plural skinnies)• informal Back to top
- 1A skinny person.More example sentences
- I am all for bringing models back, so long as magazines go to the effort to feature images of healthy 'normal' types alongside the skinnies.
- While still natural-born skinnies, they have the presence and fleshy strength of a mature woman.
- People moan about the skinnies on TV.
- 2 (skinnies) A pair of skinny jeans or trousers: if you’re tired of squeezing into your skinnies, bell-bottoms and flares are back in fashionMore example sentences
- She does always look super-cute in her skinnies and shades.
- If you do want to look slimmer, wear skinnies!
- Skinnies are so squeezed in, so uncompromising.
- 3 (the skinny) US Confidential information on a particular person or topic: net managers who want the skinny on the latest in computer securityMore example sentences
- You must possess a wonderful memory, not only for statistics and the inside skinny, but also for anecdotes.
- For those of you with regular jobs, here's the skinny.
- Here is the skinny on the matter from the Guardian.
- More example sentences
- Thin girls can be ugly; fat girls can be beautiful - but fat is not attractive in itself, any more than skinniness is.
- I'm allergic to the fashionable notion that skinniness is next to godliness.
- I don't think it did anything but emphasize my skinniness.