1 (skittles) [treated as singular] A game played with wooden pins, typically nine in number, set up at the end of an alley to be bowled down with a wooden ball or disc.
- Then on Wednesday at 9.30PM the name of the game is adult skittles and week ends as per usual with Whist on Thursday at 9pm.
- The skittles set (the English equivalent to 10-pin bowling) comprised six plastic bowling pins and two plastic balls.
- Alex was a real livewire and had loads of energy and many a happy time we had playing football and skittles.
1.1 (in full table skittles) A game played with pins set up on a board to be knocked down by swinging a suspended ball.
- If either of the two white skittles are knocked over, the break finishes and any points made during it are lost.
- It seems more likely, however, that the biased ball is just an alternative solution to try to reduce the amount of space needed for the skittles game.
- While other mums may let their children win the odd game of dominoes or throw the occasional game of skittles, I always try to win.
2A pin used in the game of skittles.
- This float looks like a miniature skittle seen in a bowling lane.
- The ball hit him square in the forehead and he fell like a skittle.
- The table featured a croquet-like hoop at one end called the ‘Port’ and an upright skittle at the other called the ‘King’.
1Knock over as if in a game of skittles: she put her hand out and skittled a row of bottles
More example sentences
- And anyone who can steer a 41-seater through our ancient narrow streets without skittling half a dozen street lights deserves a medal.
- I don't drive but, if I did, I am sure that I would have by now, been responsible for skittling a few cyclists over - and who would have been to blame?
- I have seen him skittle opponents with the ball in his hand - and quite a few have ended up in hospital such is the power of the man.
1.1 Cricket Get (batsmen) out in rapid succession: Pakistan were skittled out for 93
More example sentences
- Two run-outs, which took the number of dismissals by the fielders to eight in four games, helped skittle Doncaster for 60.
- However, that effort was matched by Dunfermline's South African amateur Johan Mans, whose 4-25 helped skittle Drumps for just 74.
- Hughes then returned 5-22 in skittling Thixendale for 131.
Words that rhyme with skittleacquittal, belittle, brittle, committal, embrittle, it'll, kittle, little, remittal, spittle, tittle, victual, whittle
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: skit¦tle
Definition of skittle in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.