- A thin, narrow piece of wood, plastic, or metal, especially one of a series which overlap or fit into each other, as in a fence or a Venetian blind: sunlight filtered dustily through the slats of the doorMore example sentences
- There are usually bunk beds or thin mattresses on wood slats.
- I smiled down at him, and continued pacing on the narrow whitewashed slats of the wooden fence.
- In the meantime, other detainees loosened a metal slat in the fence.
late Middle English (in the sense 'roofing slate'): shortening of Old French esclat 'splinter', from esclater 'to split'. The current sense dates from the mid 18th century.
More definitions of slatDefinition of slat in:
- The US English dictionary