Definition of Slav in English:
A member of a group of peoples in central and eastern Europe speaking Slavic languages.
- Greeks, Italians, Slavs, Turks and Russians all composed their own versions; they cannot possibly be reconciled.
- More headway was made among the Slavs of central Europe, aided by the relative ease of access and the penumbra of Carolingian power.
- The Russians are primarily eastern Slavs, but many also have a Finnish, Siberian, Turkish, or Baltic heritage.
adjectiveBack to top
another term for Slavic.
- The last three weeks have seen its fragile ethnic balance shaken, highlighting differences between the country's three-quarter Slav majority and its substantial Albanian minority.
- Albanian guerrillas with backing from Kosovo began operating in Macedonia earlier this year, bringing the majority Orthodox Slav country to the brink of civil war.
- They were forced to adopt Slav names and their religious and cultural rights were changed and this process became known as the Revival Process.
Words that rhyme with SlavAlgarve, calve, carve, grave, Graves, halve, starve, suave, Zouave
Definition of Slav in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.