noun[mass noun] historical
The procuring, transporting, and selling of human beings as slaves, in particular the former trade in black Africans as slaves by European countries and North America.
More example sentences
- This figure does not include the Arab slave trade nor the flourishing trade in slaves within Africa.
- In order to white-wash the European slave trade, they find it convenient to start by minimising the numbers concerned.
- While Europeans conducted the slave trade, Africans too were responsible for it.
slave trader noun
- More example sentences
- Other cities seem less coy about their unsavoury histories: in Bristol you can visit a Georgian slave trader's house, and in Liverpool be guided along its ‘slavery trail’.
- But local folklore said he was a slave trader, and his statue was almost the first thing to go in the riots.
- As US courts have recognized, the torturer ‘like the pirate and slave trader before him,’ is ‘an enemy of all mankind.’
Definition of slave trade in:
- The US English dictionary