1Rain containing some ice, as when snow melts as it falls: driving sleet and rain made conditions horrendous
More example sentences
- Snow, sleet, driving rain and gale force winds were sweeping across the north west today (Saturday).
- During the climb weather conditions deteriorated to such an extent that the group and their guides faced snow, sleet and rain showers during the ascent.
- Weather experts predict rain and sleet in York and snow on the North York Moors, with temperatures dipping to - 2C or 28.4F tonight.
1.1US A thin coating of ice formed by sleet or rain freezing on coming into contact with a cold surface.
- Elongated strips of icicles dangled from the sides of the shed ceiling, and a thin film of sleet enveloped everything else.
- It never snowed in Austin, but that morning there was definitely sleet on the ground.
- The wipers went to work, pushing the sleet and snow from the windshield.
verb[no object] (it sleets, it is sleeting, etc.)
Sleet falls: it was sleeting so hard we could barely see
More example sentences
- For all I cared it could've been sleeting down and blowing a gale: I felt better than I had for a long time.
- But it's been sleeting for the last ten minutes and you've been standing out in it.
- It was sleeting, and my team spotted a ribbon of smoke in the forest and wheeled off the road to a campfire, around which huddled six Lithuanian cyclists.
- Example sentences
- When we got out of the car it was blowing an icy, sleety gale.
- By now the snow is easing off and has turned into a sort of swirling sleety rain.
- It will warm up after Tuesday but we should expect more sleety showers coming in from the Atlantic.
Words that rhyme with sleetaccrete, autocomplete, beet, bittersweet, bleat, cheat, cleat, clubfeet, compete, compleat, complete, conceit, Crete, deceit, delete, deplete, discreet, discrete, eat, effete, élite, entreat, escheat, estreat, excrete, feat, feet, fleet, gîte, greet, heat, leat, leet, Magritte, maltreat, marguerite, meat, meet, meet-and-greet, mesquite, mete, mistreat, neat, outcompete, peat, Pete, petite, pleat, receipt, replete, sangeet, seat, secrete, sheet, skeet, splay-feet, street, suite, sweet, teat, treat, tweet, wheat
Definition of sleet in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.