noun(usually slickensides) Geology
- A polished and striated rock surface that results from friction along a fault or bedding plane.More example sentences
- Brittle deformation is evident from a number of fault planes showing quartz slickensides consistently dipping at c.40 deg to the southeast.
- Main normal-throw components are documented both by steps on the fault slickensides and by downthrown offsets of basaltic layers.
- There is limited evidence from slickensides for dip-slip movement along this fault.
More definitions of slickensideDefinition of slickenside in:
- The US English dictionary