- A mollusc which has an oval shell with an internal ledge, giving the empty shell a slipper-like appearance.
More example sentences
- Genus Crepidula, family Crepidulidae, class Gastropoda: many species, especially the North American C. fornicata, which has become a serious pest of oyster beds in Europe
- An alien aquatic snail species, the arched slipper limpet, has made its way to the sound from its native habitat on the East Coast.
- Females of the humble-looking slipper limpet secrete a substance into the water that maintains the masculinity of nearby males.
- Thousands of pounds are being invested in clearing the area of mussels and slipper limpets, which drain the river-bed of nutrients and make it difficult for oysters to grow.