Definition of sloth in English:
1 [mass noun] Reluctance to work or make an effort; laziness: he should overcome his natural sloth and complacency
More example sentences
- It seems to be intrinsic to domestic politics of every variety that a certain dismal downward trend emerges, characterized by sloth, despondency and complacency.
- Once again the drawbacks to living a life of laziness and sloth became apparent.
- Their lack of mathematical acumen is taken by parents and teachers as evidence of laziness, of sloth.
2A slow-moving tropical American mammal that hangs upside down from the branches of trees using its long limbs and hooked claws.
- Families Bradypodidae (three species of three-toed sloth in genus Bradypus) and Megalonychidae (two species of two-toed sloth in genus Choloepus), order Xenarthra (or Edentata).
- Peccaries, tapirs, anteaters, armadillos, sloths, coatis, and others are around but hard to see.
- In South America, a group known as the Xenarthrans developed, today represented by the anteaters, sloths and armadillos.
- Monkeys, tapirs, sloths, anteaters, and bats abound, all in an area the size of West Virginia.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan