A small snake-like Eurasian legless lizard that is typically brownish or copper-coloured and which gives birth to live young. Also called blindworm.
- Anguis fragilis, family Anguidae
More example sentences
- There are also reptiles, like adders or grass snakes, slow-worms and lizards that are prone to fire damage because they cannot get out quickly enough.
- Other features that had to be considered were protection of trees, shrubs, slow-worms and grass snakes.
- Ground and rove beetles, centipedes, frogs and toads, slow-worms, hedgehogs and many species of birds all eat significant numbers of slugs.
Old English slāwyrm, from slā- (of uncertain origin) + wyrm 'snake'.
Definition of slow-worm in:
- The US English dictionary