Definition of small-minded in English:
Having or showing rigid opinions or a narrow outlook; petty: my family are small-minded provincials
More example sentences
- I mean, if this were Wales say, or Scotland, I dare say I could rabbit away about small-minded, provincial parochialism.
- Every once in a blue moon, something will come along that is so immediately affecting and amazing that our usual sarcasm-laced tone just seems petty and small-minded.
- That was not the action of a small-minded or petty individual.
narrow-minded, petty-minded, petty, mean, mean-spirited, mean-minded, uncharitable, ungenerous, grudging, close-minded, short-sighted, myopic, blinkered, inward-looking, narrow, conventional, unimaginative, parochial, provincial, insular, small-town, localist;
intolerant, illiberal, reactionary, conservative, hidebound, dyed-in-the-wool, diehard, limited, restricted, set in one's ways, inflexible, dogmatic, rigid, entrenched, prejudiced, bigoted, biased, partisan;
North American informal jerkwater
- small-mindedly adverb
- Example sentences
- But who is standing up to our MPs as they hack, small-mindedly, in different ways, at our freedom?
- Ignore the cries of those who would small-mindedly label you a bar geek and think of the benefits that being a member of this association has for you as a lawyer, regardless of your specialty.
- Both agree that one should simply celebrate the fact that there are books without small-mindedly picking apart those one dislikes, especially in public or, worst of all, in print.
- Example sentences
- As one who has gorged himself on Mencken, I can sympathize with the biographers who rushed in to appraise Mencken's life and then turned away, disgusted by his cruelty, small-mindedness, and transparent bigotry.
- The players here may be more ‘decent’, may be older and more female, but the small-mindedness and pettiness is the same.
- This kind of small-mindedness and intolerance is what keeps people like the two of you from learning anything.
Words that rhyme with small-mindedbroadminded, like-minded, simple-minded, single-minded, tough-minded
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.