- Polite conversation about unimportant or uncontroversial matters, especially as engaged in on social occasions: propriety required that he face these people and make small talkMore example sentences
- On social occasions, small talk on neutral topics is appropriate and modest gifts are given.
- I'm never very good in those situations - polite small talk doesn't agree with me.
- He smiled as he set down a tray of mugs in front of a few ladies, who giggled at him and made polite small talk.
More definitions of small talkDefinition of small talk in:
- The US English dictionary