(chiefly North American also smart aleck) informal
Definition of smart alec in English:
A person who is irritating because they behave as if they know everything.
- Why are they being smart alecks in questioning our country's laws?
- His large physique, combined with an angry look, always stopped a smart alec commenting about his ‘skirt’.
- The problem is, there's always a smart alec who'll ask if my first name is Eggs.
adjectiveBack to top
Irritating as a result of behaving as if one knows everything: a smart-alec answer
More example sentences
- One of these days I will actually answer with some smart-aleck remark and just watch as she sits there dumbfounded.
- Ironically, instead of being a smart-alec answer, this helped her remember what she was trying to do and off she went.
- Mrs. Alving adds the kind of smart-aleck comment that has ever been the stock-in-trade of those to whom boundaries are so irksome: ‘Well, we all stem from a relationship of that kind, so we are told.’
mid 19th century: from smart + Alec, diminutive of the given name Alexander.
- Example sentences
- I'm more familiar with the extroverted, smart-alecky Spider Man than the shy, introverted Peter Parker.
- It's all very well being smart-alecky about Burns living in an attic but, in this day and age, there's no patronage.
- I soon regretted it, however, as what my grandfather would have called ‘a smart-alecky stunt’ and I was relieved when the tape was returned.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia