adjective (smellier, smelliest)
Having a strong or unpleasant smell: smelly feet
More example sentences
- This month Jacquie loses her luggage, and deals with the problem of team members with smelly feet
- Meanwhile, others take bags full of clothes and end up sweaty, smelly and dishevelled.
- For weeks, the residents and passing pedestrians have had to put up with dozens of smelly rubbish bags lying around.
foul-smelling, evil-smelling, stinking, stinking to high heaven, reeking, fetid, malodorous, pungent, acrid, rank, putrid, noxious;
West Indian fresh
informal stinky, reeky
North American informal funky
literary noisome, mephitic
- Example sentences
- I smell because I have damp jeans on (airing cupboards don't work!) and the smelliness of the house is now transferring on to me.
- There was a thread awhile back in which someone said putting a dryer sheet inside each sandal, and then storing them in a plastic bag overnight, will get rid of the smelliness, and it does indeed work for me.
Words that rhyme with smellybelly, Botticelli, casus belli, Corelli, Delhi, deli, Ellie, Grappelli, jelly, Kelly, lamellae, Machiavelli, Mahaweli, Schiaparelli, Shelley, shelly, tagliatelle, telly, Torricelli, vermicelli, welly, Zeffirelli
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: smelly
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.