- 1A widely distributed climbing shrub with hooks and tendrils. Several South American species yield sarsaparilla from their roots, and some are cultivated as ornamentals.
More example sentences
- Genus Smilax, family Liliaceae
- Best live greens to use are cypress, assorted evergreens and variegated holly, rosemary, smilax, white pine, common boxwood, fresh moss, and Little Gem’ miniature magnolia.
- A human path through the swamp is carved with a machete, although the resulting trail often seems like a feeble attempt at penetrating the hidden blackwater ponds and the massive jungles of titi, smilax, gallberry, cypress, and gum.
late 16th century: via Latin from Greek, literally 'bindweed'.
More definitions of smilaxDefinition of smilax in:
- The US English dictionary