- A Eurasian shrub or small tree which bears feathery plumes of purple or reddish flowers and fruit, giving it a smoky appearance.
More example sentences
- Cotinus coggygria (formerly Rhus cotinus), family Anacardiaceae
- The smoke tree, Cotinas Royal Purple, has leaves the same shade as the name implies, while Rhus typhina lacinate, the stag's horn sumach, with leaves of a fiery orange, is one of the cheapest and most attractive of autumn dazzlers.
- Because Smoke Trees require relatively abundant water, they are often found along sandy or gravelly flats, arroyos and washes, often with Creosote Bush, from elevations below sea level to 1500 feet.
- Smoke trees behave best in poor, rocky soil in full sun. Too much food and water spoils the plant and it becomes headstrong and hard to control.
More definitions of smoke treeDefinition of smoke tree in:
- The US English dictionary